How to Get Your EIN
What is the EIN?
The EIN or Employee Identification Number is a unique nine digit number that is assigned to corporate businesses for identifying their status and for taxation purposes. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is responsible for assigning the EIN to business entities. There are various ways to obtain your EIN, but the simplest method is applying for it online.
Getting Your EIN from the IRS
To obtain your unique EIN, follow these steps:
- Visit the official Internal Revenue Service website.
- Click on the “Apply Online Now” tab at the bottom of the page.
- Go to “Begin Application.”
- If you wish to apply for the EIN to file your export information to the Census Bureau, choose the option of “Sole Proprietor” on the legal structure of the page.
- Click on Continue.
- On the next menu, select “Sole Proprietor “again on the list and click the Continue button once again.
- You will be asked to confirm your selection. Click on the “Continue” button on this new page to confirm your selection.
- Now you will be taken to a new page where you will be prompted for a reason to applying for the EIN.
- Go through the list and select any of these.
- Hit the “Continue” button once again
- On the form that comes up, fill in your personal details like your name, address and SSN fields.
- Choose “sole proprietor” again.
- Click on “continue.”
- Leave the field for Trade Name blank
- Choose United States as the location of the sole proprietor i.e. you.
- Select your State of Origin and enter the date as “Sole Proprietor Start Date.”
- Click on “Continue.”
Once done, you will be prompted for a questionnaire.
- Answer “No” to the first five questions on this page.
- Click on “Continue”.
- On the question “What does your business or organization do?” Select the option of “other” because this is not to be associated with your employer.
- Click on Continue.
- Now choose “Other” as your business activity.
- Enter “relocation” in the blank field provided.
- Again click the Continue button.
- Now on the new page, select “Receive letter online.”
- Click the Continue button once.
- Go through the data once again to review wand check for any errors. It is useful to print a copy for your records.
- Click the “Continue” button once.
- Your EIN will now appear on the following screen.
- Print the EIN confirmation letter and keep it safe for future use.