- You should start planning for your move well in advance of the
actual move; preferably, a month in advance for domestic moves and
at least 6-8 weeks in advance for international moves, which frequently
involve disposing off unnecessary items, finding out about the residency
and customs information, living conditions in the new country and
obtaining necessary documents, such as passports, visas and work permits
- It's advisable to transport with you personally items such as financial
papers & assets, insurance policies, wills, certificates, etc.,
valuable jewelery, stamp & coin collection and family photos and
memorabilia. You may also want to bring with you your telephone book/directory
to facilitate contact with friends and businesses in your hometown.
- The first major decision you have to take regarding packing is
whether to seek the help of a professional packing service or do it
yourself. Sky2sea can provide you with safe, secure and reliable packing
service, if you need.
- If you decide to do your own packing, you should start packing
several weeks before shipment, leaving items you need until the move
- You have to be careful in using proper packing material and identification
to ensure that your belongings arrive safely at your destination and
you can easily identify all items and verify that they have arrived
in good condition.
- You should write on the top and front of each box/carton, your
name, destination address, shipper's booking number and a general
description of the contents of the box. You should also indicate the
room to which they will go at your destination.
- On a plain sheet of paper, write down box number, the contents
and value [for insurance purposes] of each box. You should keep an
inventory of the contents of each box with you for the use of shipper
and for verification at the destination point.
- If you are using us for packing, the driver responsible for moving
will prepare a complete inventory report of all items and their condition.
He will tag each individual carton or furniture item with numbered
labels, record each item on the inventory form, along with any sign
of damage. It is important that you be with him while he is carrying
out this activity and point out any special considerations or concerns
regarding a particular item. Both you and the driver will sign the
inventory form, which you should keep in a secure place.
- Give your dispatcher a phone number, and preferably an alternate
contact, where you can be reached at your destination.
- You should contact the agent at the destination point upon arrival
there. If you cannot be contacted at the appointed date, your shipment
will have to be stored in a warehouse at additional cost to you. If
possible, you should have an unloading plan for each room at the destination
to facilitate and expedite unloading.
- You should check each item of the shipment upon arrival with your
inventory list. Any missing or damaged item should be immediately
reported to your agent/sky2c.
- You should make a note of the shipment registration number with
you; and quote it every time you have to contact sky2c with respect
to the shipment.